Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Visitation


I have told this story before, but it will be new to many of you.

In my first church, Dunaway United Methodist, in Trapp Kentucky, I was supernaturally led into the most effective ministry practice I know: visitation. Richard Baxter in a great book, The Reformed Pastor says you should visit your whole parish and catechize them. If you have too many to do it reasonably, hire assistant ministers! Wesley was a keen visitor, believing he could get more done in a 1 hour visit than in many sermons.

Visitation is also for the purpose of finding those who do not know Christ and commending Him to their souls.

Here's how it happened. So there I was, rookie pastor, not sure what to do. I fell back on my mentor, Howard Willen, and his constant visitation that he often took me on. But it went a lot further than I expected. First, I got out a map of Clark County that some of the men in the church gave me. I think Larry Baker actually put it into my mitts. I divided up the county, taking a pie shaped piece that started in town and went down to the Red River. I gave El Bethel church everything east of Rabbittown, and I went as far west as the roads would take me. Four Mile Creek stops you somewhere out there.

As I was leaving Winchester one day, headed back to Trapp, right there at the Sylvania plant, the Lord spoke: “Every house to the county line is mine.”

Wow! I was armed with real power and encouragement, so I stopped at the first house outside of town. I don't remember much. I think I came to another house where the family went to the Christian church. Then, I came to a farm house. I knocked on the door and said I was the Methodist pastor and the man said, “I am glad you are here. My wife needs help.”

She was having a psychotic episode, brought on by the anniversary of the death of her son in the army.

What do I know about such things, other than to pray and talk about the love of Jesus?

She got the help she needed, and though she would battle it again, she started coming to church, and so did her daughter and son-in-law when they were in town. Her granddaughter came quite a bit, too.

You just never know what will happen when you stop by someone's house. Very rarely will someone be angry. Many are apathetic. Many will be touched. And some, they really need Jesus, but did not know where to find Him.

Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment