Tuesday, September 3, 2013

John's Testimony

I guess this is the best first post on my new blog.  Our oldest boy, John, has accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior.  It has been something that has come up in conversation with him for a few weeks.  You might say, but you are a pastor; your kids are always in church; haven't they always known about God?  Well, yes, I am a pastor, and my kids are often at church.  But everyone still has to have that moment where they know for themselves that they have accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior.

As we have talked about it, we have emphasized knowing that Jesus died for each one of us.  About two weeks ago in evening prayer and Bble study, John said that where God was working on him was about love.  God loves us.  When we don't love ourselves.  There are people we don't love, and we think we have good reasons, but God loves them.  God loves us even though we have sinned against Him.

Last night, we started reading Matthew. Joseph piped up that in Genesis, a couple did not follow God, but in the beginning of the Gospel, Mary and Joseph did what God told them to.  After a bit more discussion, John said, "I want to join the church.". I was very proud of Joseph's "old school" interpretive skills, and very proud, too, that John knew that claiming Jesus as  Lord means that it is also time to join the church.

I asked what was going on in his mind.  He said, "I look back on all the ways He has taken care of me. Like Joe said, something switched.  It's like in the New Testament He made a way for us to start over.  And I think about how after Mommy died, things have been ok.  I didn't think they would be, but He has really taken care of me."

How do we bring our kids to Christ?  By being consistent in Bible study and prayer.  You don't have to be a Bible professor.  get a good devotional book like Billy Graham's Hope for Each Day.  Read it Together in the morning and evening. Pray with your kids.  Talk about the need for forgiveness of sins.  Tell them that Jesus is always ready to receive them.  Tell them often about your own story of conversion, tell them about how your walk with God has helped you.  Ask them regularly if they are ready to accept Jesus Christ, to put their faith in Him.  

2 comments:

  1. top right corner. there's a box that says follow by email. put your email address in and hit "submit"

    ReplyDelete