Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Mentors

You need a mentor for the significant areas of your life.  I have been privileged to have good mentors right when I needed them.  As far as ministry is concerned, I was lucky to learn from Howard Willen, my pastor at First United Methodist in Lexington, KY from 1995-2000.  He took me to school in things like prayer; bible study; visiting in hospitals, nursing homes, jails, and homes; how to do a funeral; and preeminently in evangelism... making contacts with people, looking for the open door to share Christ, and asking them to put their faith in Him.  If I had not seen that done, I would have a hard time imagining what it looks like or how to do it!

We were doing some planning for an upcoming evangelism training, and I guess I mentioned Howard a number of times, to the point where it was suggested that we make WWWD bracelets for evangelism training... What Would Willen Do?

No comments:

Post a Comment