Tuesday, June 24, 2014

A Surfer's Joy

I have been reminded recently of something I saw a number of years ago, something that is speaking to me again about evangelism and discipleship. I think it has to do with a theme of joy. I was fishing with a friend who has not quite decided what he thinks about Jesus. His kids came to our Vacation Bible School. His comment about the closing ceremony was revealing. He said that he was impressed that everyone was smiling, that the kids were having fun. “There was a lot of joy. I think that's what church ought to be like."

I am reminded of an image that sticks with me. I was visiting family in California. We had gone to Morro Bay. I saw a fellow, perhaps in his 60s, long salt-and-pepper hair, in a wet suit on a surfboard. He was there with his granddaughter, perhaps 7, with her own wetsuit and child-size surfboard. What sticks out at me is not just the neat silhouette they made together, but the great joy he had in teaching his granddaughter to surf.

I think that is how we must be about evangelism and discipleship. Specifically with our children; let them see and know our joy in following Jesus. Do we pray with them, to teach them how, to hear and see the quality of our relationship with Him? Do we teach them to love to read the Bible? Do they know our joy when we are in worship with them?

And I suppose the same can be true with our friends who don't know Jesus. Do they know our joy? Do we share who Jesus is? What He has done for us? And the joy we have because of Him?






No comments:

Post a Comment